Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Adventures in...



Puppydom...

Yep, yesterday we added a puppy to the family. A little Shih Tzu boy named Simon. He chose the name. We were going thru names while X was outside, I said Simon and he turned, ran to me wagging his tail. We went on, Rob asked later what the name was he liked, I said Simon again, he turned, wagged his tail and gave me kisses. So Simon it is. I love when they choose their names. :)

We'd gone to the NEX to pick up a few things and Rob asked if I was up to going to the NEX Pet Store. Sure, why not. Let the kids see the animals then go home... (Rob says he didn't think they'd have any dogs, since they really didn't last time we went.) We walked in and they had 4 varieties: 3 fox terrier/chihauhau's (HELL NO), 2 shih tzu's, 4 yorkies, and 2 king charles spaniel mixes. I thought the spaniel mixes were cute, and briefly considered the yorkies, but neither were available yet, so we looked at Simon. He was more than we'd really have wanted to spend, but he's cute and the kids kept up a litany of "Please Dad" "Pease Daaddy" "He puts stars in my eyes Dad". I distanced myself and told Rob it was his decision. I was merely sitting there petting the little boy cause I knew being in the cage most of the day could be no fun.

He's cute, but he's a little dog so it's going to take some real adjusting for us. Not to mention the fact he's a BOY dog, and we've only ever had girls. But he's been stuck to me like glue almost since we walked out of the store, and he's got such smart eyes that you can't help but smile and pet and play with him. Even if he did have me up at 5am, morning sickness and all. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go back and get him a kennel to help house train him, as most everything I'm reading about the breed says that's the best way to go...

He's adorable, and he's ours. The kids love him, Rob seems to really genuinely care about him, and I smile when I look at him. It should be a happy and fun time, right?

No comments: