Saturday, September 25, 2004

Memories

Its odd how just looking at things we've done in the past can make us want to cry. Not necessarily sad tears, but tear up or cry none-the-less.

I was looking at a book of certificates I've received in my life and the oldest one is from 1982. It was a Junior Fire Marshal certifiate from Bad Kreuznach. I vaguely remember being in Germany that time around. I was only 3 when we got there and 5 1/2 when we left. I have wonderful memories from that time, don't get me wrong, but they are so vague sometimes. I remember taking the train to go visit my Aunt and cousin who were stationed somewhere else (can't remember where). I was so excited to see them I got sick the first night we were there, but that was ok cause I got to see them. :-)

I remember having 3 birthday cakes when I turned 5: 1 at daycare, 1 at home with family and my best friend who lived downstairs from us, and the last one at a big party at my Aunts house. The last one was shaped like Mickey Mouse and there were all kinds of balloons and other kids. Then we went out and I got my ears pierced for the first time. I remember Mom telling me if I was a brave girl she'd get me ice cream afterwards. I didn't cry, flinched a little, but didn't cry or scream and I got ice cream as we walked around the little cobblestone plaza.

I remember going to Neuschwanstein for the first time. I was more interested in the little toy picture viewer thing that Mom and Dad bought me of the castle and trying to find light to see the pictures that actually looking at the castle itself. And I'm now proud of myself for actually spelling Neuschwanstein correctly the first time around without looking it up until after I was finished with the first few sentences.

So like I said I remember it, maybe a bit better than I think I do sometimes. There's plenty more memories there waiting to be told, but that would take too long and bore you to death I'm sure. Maybe sometime when we all get together, like Pennsic next year. I'm still crossing my fingers on being able to make it. Not sure being as Rob will be deployed and I'm not sure what I'd do with X. Don't know if that would be Rob's 2 week vacation either. So many what-ifs, etc.

Anyhow. That's worrying about the future and not remembering all the bittersweet memories from my "Me" book and that's not what I want to do right now. Right now we're listening to the Braveheart CD and reminiscing seems to be the better idea right now. Worrying just defies the relaxing and sad/weepy feelings the music evokes. YKWIM?

No comments: