Went fine. Rob called as we were driving out of our town to KC. Didn't get to talk very long as we kept cutting in and out due to the road. Ginger went with us. She kept Si while I was back with Xavier.
We got there half an our before he needed to be there, but we checked in and went back with no problems. Got weighed and had other vitals taken. He's staying at a steady 45 lbs. They let him grab a toy to play with while we waited and the nurse finished his intake stuff. He got tired of the first one, asked to grab a second. Got tired of that one and they offered him a Game Boy to play with. There were 4 games with it, but none of the ones he's ever played so he got frustrated and quit it. They asked him if he likes to color, yes. They brought him a blank doll and some markers and he colored a face and hair and a few other bits and bobs and make his very own mini-X. The mini-X even has his own hospital bracelet and slipper socks.
I finally used the doll to talk to X a bit about what they'd do during his surgery. I put off any details until today knowing that X has a very vivid imagination and would likely have something close to a panic attack and throw a major fit when we got there if he new more before today. Mini-X went back to the OR with X. They both were very good back in surgery. :)
His surgery took about 20 or 30 minutes. His doctor came out and told me he was a champ and should be waking up in 30-40 minutes. I swear it took longer for him to wake up in recovery than it did for the surgery itself. I went back to recovery and held him for a little bit. Helped him drink some Sprite, he had some Goldfish crackers, and just reassured him and told him I was proud of him while he finished waking up and they took out his IV. We dispo'd and I went to get Ginger and Si. He got to ride out to the car in a little wagon. :) He chose the wagon over the wheelchair.
I kept a promise I made before he went back and went to McDonald's to get X chicken and fries. Unfortunately, after I got it picked up and back in the car, X got an upset stomach and hurled before he could eat. He slept the 45 mins or so it took to get back to the house, I carried him in to his bed and he napped while I went to Wal-Mart to get some Ibuprofen and Tylenol in case he needs pain meds. Rob called after I got back and X talked to him, then rested for a few more hours. (Si even talked for the first time on the phone. Rob had already hung up but she said "dadda" a couple of times to the air.) Now he's up and playing/watching tv like normal. :) He's eaten his dinner, had a cookie, and is just relaxing.
No comments:
Post a Comment